[Ansteorra-archery] Childrens Archery

jim hodek j_hodek at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 06:08:15 PST 2004

Thank you for the advice, I really think the parents should attend the classes with the children even if they don't participate, they an see their childs interest and/or excitement and it gives them an idea of how far to encourage their child. You are exactly right, we are not a day care center, and I wasn't planning on being one. I was thinking five marshals for ten lanes more as instructors for hands on than for day care purposes. If we can get ten adults, or even some skilled older youth to assist the beginners in shooting properly, everyone has more fun, and the beginners learn more.

Again, thank you for your comments and assistance.

Gunnarr haukr

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Arcus Gilli is right, I was helping him out at Youth Academy, and my bloody
nerves are still a bit frayed. God love 'em, them little halflings are
quicker'n a cat. But you don't necessarily need ten marshals to cover ten lanes. One
good marshal can oversee the range if he's got ten responsible adults
providing one-on-one supervision for each of the ten lanes.
Should the parents be present? Yes of course they should, you're not
running a bloody day care center. Should they be the ones on the shooting line with
their child? Not necessarily. It's my experience that kids are more
comfortable shooting with a stranger, since expectation levels/pressure are lowered by
not being put in a position of trying to please their parents. Couple that with
the fact that many parents are going to be unfamiliar with archery skills and
range procedures.
Now, if the parents just happen to be competent and qualified, then fine,
let 'em run a lane, God bless 'em and good on 'em. However, it need not be the
lane their child is shooting in. If everybody stays objective, everybody has a
better time.

Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire