[Ansteorra-archery] question

LD.BLACKMOON ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Thu Apr 28 18:14:02 PDT 2005

GREETINGS

>HL Eadric Anstapa
DSEM CA
WROTE :
>Or should the next set of Ansteorran Target Archery rules say something about it?
PROBABLY BE A GOOD IDEA  .

I.M.O.

WELL IT WOULD APPEAR THAT WE HAVE A WIDE VARIETY OF OPINIONS ON THE SUBJECT .
FROM MARSHALS CHOICE TO REQUIRING THE MINOR TO CARRY HIS MEDICAL HISTORY WITH HIM .

 IN THIS INSTANCE ,
IN TODAY'S WORLD , UNDER THE CURRENT RULES OF THE SCA, I BELIEVE THAT IT IS IN THE BEST INTEREST OF EVERYONE CONCERNED ( MARSHAL,MINOR,PARENT, SCA ) THAT THE PARENT / LEGAL GUARDIAN / NOTARIZED WAIVER FORM GUARDIAN  BE PRESENT WHEN THE MINOR IS PARTICIPATING IN OUR SPORT.
NOT BECAUSE THERE HAS EVER BEEN A " PROBLEM " WITH ACCIDENTS , BUT BECAUSE AS MARSHALS WE MUST BE PREPARED FOR " POTENTIAL " PROBLEMS .EVERYTHING FROM : THE BUTT JUST BLEW OVER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COMPETITION ,
TO , WORST CASE , : WHY DID HE JUST SHOOT HIS FINGER DOWN RANGE ??

AS MARSHALS WE REGULARLY ASSESS POTENTIAL PROBLEMS , HER LIMBS ARE BEGINNING TO WARP, HIS STRING NEEDS WAXING , ETC. AND MAKING JUDGMENTS BASED ON THE RULES WE FOLLOW, AND OUR OWN EXPERIENCE , AS TO WHAT IS THE SAFEST COURSE OF ACTION .
THIS EXPERIENCE COULD HELP US MAKE A GOOD CALL IN MOST CASES , BUT WHAT HAPPENS AT THAT ONE EVENT , THE TEN MILLION TO ONE , ACT OF THE GODS ACCIDENT THAT NO ONE SAW COMING ???
THAT'S THE " POTENTIAL " PROBLEM WE HAVE TO BE PREPARED FOR .

WHILE THERE ARE TALENTED YOUNG ARCHERS OUT THERE , SOME OF WHOM KNOW AND FOLLOW THE RANGE RULES BETTER THAN SOME OF THE ADULTS I'VE SEEN .
IT STILL BOILS DOWN TO THE FACT THAT MINORS DON'T HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO AUTHORIZE MEDICAL TREATMENT IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT.
THAT'S ONE REASON WHY THE WAIVER / PARENT PRESENT RULE IS ALREADY APPLIED TO MOST CHILDREN'S / YOUTH SHOOTS .

ANYWAY , I'M RAMBLING
THAT'S MY 2 CENTS WORTH .

BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
ARTHUR BLACKMOON