[Ansteorra-archery] My first board bow

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 18:07:54 PDT 2005

I just put about 50 arrows thru it and retested weight... 28lb at 25". I took several videos from 20 yards with it and several pics i am going to put on my site. Will pass link along. It has no cracks or splinters so i am leaving it alone.... GOOD bow, quiet and very smooth. I am VERY surprised at what 6 bucks and some small pieces of walnut can do.......

Still not leaving Xbow tho :P

Link to follow when i get it all on site. :) THANKS for advice!! :)

Ulrich

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Hmmm,
If you're not worried about being period correct, and you've got some
available, go with the fiberglass. Linen backings are basically just a strip of
coarse woven linen fabric glued to the back of the bow with such low tech bonding
agents as Titebond II wood glue. Then again, at a length of 66", and a
relatively low draw weight of 28 lbs., you may need no backing at all. Got any
cracks? How about grain slivers "lifting" along the back of the bow? If not, I'm
sure you're familiar with the phrase "don't fix it if it ain't broke" ;-)
My preference in finishes is several coats of Tung oil, followed by several
coats of Johnson paste wax (the kind for hardwood floors). I've also resorted
to spray polyurethane if rushed for time, and it makes for a durable,
attractive finish. Just be sure you've got good ventilation and an approved mask when
spraying that unhealthy stuff. If time permits, I do much prefer the Tung
oil, since it penetrates into the wood. The primary function of any finish
applied to a wood bow, is to prevent the wood fibers from accumulating moisture.
Moisture leads to increased string follow and diminished cast, e.g. a sluggish
bow that stays significantly bent even when unstrung.
Hope I've been of assistance.

Cheers,
Robert