[Ansteorra-archery] My first board bow

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 15:47:56 PDT 2005

Robert. Would you suggest a backing of fiberglass or linen... the linen what exactly is it?

So far i have put about 20 arrows thru it with no complaining. It is ready for final sanding now and sealing. What do ya suggest?

Ulrich

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Good on you Ulrich, fun stuff indeed!
I made a sweet Native American (Cherokee friend of mine hates that
politically correct phrase and prefers to be called an Indian ) style bow from
an Osage stave I cut and seasoned myself. It was pulling a smooth and
consistent 70 lbs. at 26" (short bow), so silly me wanted to see what it would pull at
28". I'll never forget the sound that bow made as it literally exploded in my
hands.
So heads up fledgling bowyers, test your handiwork with care, even to the
point of considering eye protection. When I make a bow for someone else, they
don't get to so much as touch it, until I've personally put a few dozen arrows
downrange with it to check for potential problems. So far so good, but
complacency is the ally of our old friend "Murphy", so "proof testing" will remain
part of my bowmaking routine.

Cheers,
Robert

http://mail.yahoo.com