[Ansteorra-archery] Congratulations, it's a bow

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Sun Mar 20 15:22:50 PST 2005

Happiness is.....
  Finishing my latest long bow. Put the finishing touches on it Friday and
"shot it in" over the weekend. What a majestic beast! It's a six foot long,
beautifully tillered, hickory self bow, that registers sixty pounds on the bow
scale at my draw length.
  A sixty pound longbow is not for the timid, but this one's very smooth and
stable, with a wickedly fast cast and flat trajectory. My first practice IKAC
round, by way of breaking the bow in, yielded a score of 180 points. Nothing
spectacular, but not bad for a previously untested bow. Still smells of curing
tung oil, and bee's wax, and oiled leather, sort of the medieval archer's
version of "new car smell" I guess ;-)
    I've been toying with the idea of setting up a two day bowmaking/string
making/fletching seminar. Would probably ask Arcus Gilli if I could host it at
his place, since he's got adequate workspace and a range on site (if archers
get together, they're going to want to shoot). Just thinking out loud for now.
If enough folks let me know they're interested, I'll start thinking harder ;-)

Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire