[Ansteorra-archery] Bowyerthon '05; Oops, fat finger

Ironwyrm hlironwyrm at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 27 20:26:27 PST 2005

Thanks for clearing up that "finish their bows" thing Robert.

Reading some of the responses it was looking as if folks
were expecting to start on their bowstaves in the morning
and planing to be shooting them the same afternoon.  Not
exactly a realistic expectation for even a very skilled bowyer.

Looking forward to attending you're seminar, checking the
calender for any conflicts tonight.

Ironwyrm

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com wrote:
Oops, let's try that again,
I meant to say, by the way, that I carved another longbow today. In a
couple more days I should be finished with it. I mention that to point out the
following;
- Rough shaping a stave into a semi-finished bow goes fairly quickly,
depending on skill and the tools you're using
- However, tillering takes time, so does sanding everything smooth, applying
a finish, making a string, and putting a useable hand grip on the silly thing

I don't want folks getting the idea that they're going to show up one day,
and walk away with a proper longbow the next. What I hope to do is get folks
comfortable with the skills/processes involved, and get them off to a solid
enough start that they can finish their bows on their own.

So, if you plan on doing some shooting while you're here, it would be a
good idea to bring along whatever bow you're currently shooting with.

As far as this deal not being an "SCA event", call it what you like.
However, be advised, Sunday, 5 June, is our shire's regularly scheduled/published
archery practice, at the normally scheduled time and place (who else has an
archery range in their back yard?). The shire's archery marshal will be in
attendance, and any scores you shoot will be legitimate and reportable.

Cheers,
Robert