[Ansteorra-archery] We Have A Winner

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 06:50:55 PDT 2005

Aye, i had planned on coming out of hiding to contribute to Steppes scores. But they were busy with events and war practice as stated. Add to that the rain and wet soggy UNSAFE ground - bleh....

Also i am NOT going to shoot bow or combat. Bow cuz i got enough of it at a younger age and DO NOT enjoy bow and combat for personal reasons.

Making one have to post in all 5 areas while i think is a GREAT idea and makes a well rounded archer, in this case i believe is not a good idea. Let those that enjoy the shooting and what they are good at post for the barony promoting more team spirit in bringing everyone together. Not watching a shooter get a 250 ikac and fall flat on thier face in another area.

Personally - i have a range at my home in denton and would be MORE then happy to open it up to those that want to shoot, we can get out to 70 yards and the range is SCA legal. Lots of shade, bathrooms, drink and relaxing only 20 steps away from the shooting line. But the having to do it on home turf spoils that.

We are in an honor game, we post Royal and IKAC on honor system. why not let people shoot what they are good at and contribute to there immediate barony, let them choose a range that is close to them to do it and open the 200.00 up for a month.

Do that gilli and you might have some competition, i know i will shoot, AND might i add smoke ya :P /big grin

Ulrich <---- feeling a tad frisky today and wanting an excuse to pull the crossbow out.

Adam Edwards <wilim.penbras at pandora.org> wrote:
Gilli,
I had a long reply written but it rambled and missed the point in
places. We've never minced words with each other so I'll speak plainly.
You're shooting at the wrong target.
All of the Rules of your Competition seemed to be directed towards
groups with established Archery programs. A $200 prize is fantastic but if
you need to have the ability to shoot in all divisions to compete it doesn't
really promote archery in those groups where they have the will but not the
Way. You even set it up so they couldn't "borrow" another range to shoot
at. It had to be in thier home group.
I'm not surprised that Middleford won or that few groups competed.
Those that could win didn't NEED to and those that NEEDED to couldn't win.
I don't have $200 for a prize or any easy way to give any prize out but
if we all put on our thinking caps I'm sure we can come up with a
competition that will reward the biggest effort without requiring the
biggest results.

YiS,
Ld. Wilim Penbras