[Ansteorra-archery] Bowyerthon '05 Tool Tip

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Mon May 9 15:37:45 PDT 2005

Fellow archers and bowyers,
  I'm somewhat of a rustic, it being not at all unusual for me to carve a bow
using nothing but a knife (a home made knife at that). However, I realize
folks coming to the bowmaking seminar may not have grown up whittling like I did.
So, I'm experimenting with tools that work well with a minimum of training,
and keeping low cost factored into the equation. One that I really like is the
humble spokeshave, it's easy to use, works quite well, and is considerably
cheaper than either a draw knife or a block plane. Highland Hardware, an Atlanta
based company, sells excellent quality, German made (Kunz is the brand name),
spokeshaves for as low as $10.99! You can't even buy a decent pocketknife for
that price anymore. There's plenty other woodworking tool companies you can
shop on-line, but I'm telling you straight that the spokeshave Highland Hardware
sells for $10.99 is the same one some other folks have priced at twenty two
bucks and change.
  Just a wee tip for the "whittling challenged", spokeshaves are dandy tools!

Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire