[Ansteorra-archery] free points in royal round - write up on matching

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 07:36:02 PDT 2005

Figured as we are all preparing for season :)

Grain matching your missiles

This works for arrows and for bolts and is worth some free points. In my testing I have found that between a fresh set of non matched bolts compared to a fresh set of matched bolts I can get an average of about 9 extra points in a royal round firing 7 bolts in the speed round. Whats scary is i have seen as much as 100 grains oddballs that feel the same but fly over the target or dive to the ground - leaving you wondering why.

Matching arrows is a tad more challenging – but the principals are the same.

Supplies needed.

Shafts that are within 20 grains of each other

A scale that reads in grains – Ebay has them for fewer than 15 shipped.

#9 lead shot – Wal-Mart OR you can chip away at a lead tire weight

Usual fletching materials

Dremel – to make it easy or a metal file if you want to work

Here is the process I use; I will be speaking in terms of bolts however this works on arrows as well.

1: Take yourself 12 shafts that are matched to within 20 grains of eachother. I personally use 3/8" dowel; the common stuff found at Wal-Mart does great. You will have to search to find the straightest shafts – but for the price – can’t beat the extra looking. I cut mine to 16" shafts, which yield 2 shafts per dowel rod. I have each shaft marked with the raw weight on it and package them into alike weights for easy reference. To find 12 that match close you may have to search, but the end result is well worth the minor cost. REMEMBER – the closer they match raw – the easier it is and less work it is to dial them in.

2: from here I will shave the tips for the field point, bodkin or wood blunt. I will also dress the ends for a final roughing up to grab the string.

3: Sealer is a great way to dial bolts in closer to target weight and make your shafts look nice. With some forethought and cunning you can get your shafts to within grains of each other. The secret is to pick the lowest weight shaft, seal it and reweigh it. This is now your target weight. Apply sealer to the other shafts, let dry and reweigh. Cycle this until all your shafts are within 3 grains of each other.

So now you have some good looking shafts that all weigh the same amount or are VERY close. Time to add fletch.

4: Add you’re fletches but NOT tips. After all shafts are fletched reweigh them and keep a record of what shaft weighs what. Pick your LOWEST weight shaft and your heaviest shaft. Your heaviest shaft is now your target weight for all the others. Put a tip on it and glue tip in. re-weigh it.

Take all your other shafts and one by one put them on your scale with the tip on the scale but off the shaft. Add #9 shotgun shot to the scale one pellet at a time until you are within 4 grains of the target weight (allow 4 grains for glue). Once you get that weight add pellets into tip and glue tip on – move to the next. Repeat until all tips are glued on.

>From this point you should have a set of bolts that are within +/- 7 grains of each other. Arrows maybe farther out but +/- 15 grains is real acceptable. You may now take your dremel and lightly shave metal from the tips until you are completely matched – the choice is yours.

I have found in my shooting I run within +/- 3 grains and there is no noticeable difference in a dead set match set and a set that’s off high/low 3 grains. Humidity, temperature and other factors will change the weight slightly day to day.

I HAVE noted however a spread of even 20 to 30 grains is very noticeable and costs points – especially at ranges beyond 25 yards. Remember that if you anchor the same (crossbows do this automatically) you are applying the same power to the missile. A missile that weighs the same will arc the same and hit the same point given the point of aim is the same.

My bolts I use are 16" – 3/8" shafts that weigh 400gr with a tolerance of +/- of 3 grains between the 16 of them to give you a reference point to do your own.

GOOD LUCK!!!! And happy shooting!!!

Ulrich of Carolingia

http://mail.yahoo.com