[Ansteorra-archery] Archers Opinion? input please :)

Crandall crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 08:00:57 PST 2005

Many of these questions are answered on the stickbow site:
http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/arrowbuilding/wood.html

Crandall

Blackmoon <ld.blackmoon at cox.net> wrote:
GREETINGS

>I am wondering if archers out there have an opinion about using other woods then cedar for arrows. I make shafts in the 3 woods above and its been my experiance after shooting all three woods that all of them fly the same. Cedar seems to lose on the toughness part as dougfir and ash seem to take abuse better.

I HAVE TO WONDER IF THEY WILL HAVE THE SAME OR BETTER SPINE ?
WOULD I HAVE TO CHANGE SHAFT SIZE , TO GET THE SAME SPINE ?
AND WHAT IS THE WEIGHT DIFFERENCE FOR A SHAFT OF EACH WOOD ?
ALSO, WHAT THE COST DIFFERENCE WOULD BE BETWEEN THE DIFFERENT WOODS  ? TAX INCLUDED .

BE SAFE, BE HAPPY, HAVE FUN
ARTHUR BLACKMOON
I am wondering if archers out there have an opinion about using other woods then cedar for arrows. I make shafts in the 3 woods above and its been my experiance after shooting all three woods that all of them fly the same. Cedar seems to lose on the toughness part as dougfir and ash seem to take abuse better.

With the laws putting a tax on cedar shafts (wonder whos brillant idea that was) it seems to me that cedar - while nice - is unnessasary for a match set of target or hunting arrows.

Whats your thoughts?

Input please - good, bad or indifferent

Ulrich