[Ansteorra-archery] Stick bows - question

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Oct 3 14:46:27 PDT 2005

David Ruff <davidsbox01 at yahoo.com> said:

> Was asked of me the other day to make a handbow but use aspen as
> the wood. Anyone ever used aspen - if so did it work? thoughts on
> it etc?
>
> I have been using oak, hickory and pacific yew (TG for friends in
oregon) to great success but have never heard of aspen being used.

> Thanks
>
> Ulrich

Aspen is a way soft whitewood.  My experience is that it breaks
easily and compresses a lot.  Since it compresses a good bit even if
it didn't break quickly I dunno if it would hold up very long at
all.  I dont recall ever seeing it listed as a good bow wood  but I
dont have my books here with me to check.

Why do they want ya to use aspen?

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa