[Ansteorra-archery] The State of Archery

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 10:49:55 PDT 2006

I have to agree with the fun shoots. Is one of the few reasons i posted up to robert and gilli - promote the fun of it and lead by shooting not complaining.

  in 2002 i seem to remember a trend in this area of going from shooting at 5 ring targets to shooting at slits, cards, animals - heck even some moving targets on rails (grin). It tripped people up, but it also made people want to shoot more. As it was said - shooting at ringed targets can be boring - counting score can intimidate, the goal is the love and fun of it.

  I often wonder however (devils advocate) if people are so tuned to shooting odd targets if a straight 5 ring shoot would trip people up now - i doubt it as odd targets make you a better all round archer, but i have wondered heheheeh.

  Again i will say it - typing is better done to promote the archery and the "problems" it has. Busting out with a long laundry list of who did what to who is not real cool, nor is it in the scope of what this list is for (trust me - learned it the hard way)

  I think if anything you need to take a look at the marshals that are there, as i said in the beginning - i respect the last three marshals in the steppes in the ability to deal with the diverse crowd and thankless job being a marshal entails. I surely don't have the temper to do it.

  So, my crossbow is tipped up in honor of those that make the shoots fun, safe and there to shoot in the first place - THANK YOU!!!!! for the imaginations, the ability and your time.

  As for awards, no idea about the arcus or arc d jor? (forgive me not sure how to spell it). Im not convinced that calling them out and pointing out an award has or has not been given in "X" amount of time is the best way to do it. What is an award in the first place? recognition, do we as people need it, or is the game about honor and fun...... Everything else (an award) will follow naturally and is mere gravy in the grand sceme of things.

  Ulrich