[Ansteorra-archery] The State of Archery

jack spinks jlspinks at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 13 07:08:01 PDT 2006

An interesting debate, this.  Fun shoots vs Royal Rounds.   I do both and enjoy both and often embed a royal inside a fun shoot when I have the chance- especially with novice shoots.  Royals are fine but I have observed archers that get so tuned to the gold circle that they shoot very poorly when it is not there or the range is a little different such as in fun shoots.  As you say- the Royal Round and IKAC are good standard ways to measure your ability and progress- regardless of your ability.  However after you have shot your 215th Royal round it does get a bit tiresome to shoot the same targets again.  I can therefore only applaud those that find new and different shoots  whether it is using a wreath to have an ultra traditional shoot or some of the shoots that Oedicus of Rosenfeld has come up with where bottles were shot out of the air (or at least attempted) or their clout  or CD shoots.

  I do regret that there are those of the Middleford group no longer actively participating -for whatever reason-  especially with the ICKAC as you were often Ansteorras only consistent representative.  It weakens not just archery but the SCA as a whole each time someone decides to quit.  There are those in the society that I have come to dislike and do not respect but that I do share the same opinions with- that archery is fun and this game of recreation is fun- yet I still come out and participate whether they are around or not.   Hopefully y'all will at some future time come out to play again either at your nearby events or at some of the other events around the kingdom that are so much fun.  And at the rate northern region archery is growing- they will be a force to watch with many good shoots and shots.

  Also- as Arcarius Blackmoon pointed out- Thomas Quilliam is now a member of the Arc d'Or as of last weekend.   He was the first of the Arcarius to be so elevated. And he will tell you- he is not one of the best shots in the Kingdom.  But I will tell you that his attitude and participation is among the best and that I have learned as much or more from having him as a student as he has as my student.

  Jaque the Spink

HLDarcy <HLDarcy at hot.rr.com> wrote:
  THE STATE OF ARCHERY IN THE KINGDOM OF ANSTEORRA

AN OPINION

Here is my opinion on the state of Archery in Ansteorra. You may agree or
disagree but. it is my opinion.

What I see are Archers who would rather shoot "Fun" Shoots. It's too much
effort for them to shoot in standard competitions such as Royal Rounds or
the InterKingdom competitions. This way they also don't have to be bothered
with seeing how they compare to other archers or with defending their
Kingdom's honor in the InterKingdom competitions.

There hasn't been a new Arcus made in over TWO years. Is there any other
Grant Level order that has gone that long without a new member that is still
viable? The Arc d'Or is for all intents and purposes a dead order. They
just haven't sung the dirge yet.

Frankly, I don't know why I've bothered staying on the Archery List this
long.

HL Darcy Evaline o Lasgwm