[Ansteorra-archery] The State of Archery

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 13 07:43:02 PDT 2006

And just what is wrong with fun shoots? Variety is the spice of life, and
not all of us shoot to win, win, win. For two years I shot nothing but
5-color FITA targets and was then confronted with a 3-D target at a random
range in a competition. It required me to think in a whole different way. I
have included simulated arrow slots, playing cards, balloons, topsy-turveys,
and animal targets in my own shoots, and tried to have a once-a-month fun
shoot when the weather cooperated while I was Baronial archery marshal. I
still submitted tons of Royal Round scores during my tenure, until my
computer refused to cooperate, but I got a lot of comments from people that
they really enjoyed the variety.

Very few championship shoots in this kingdom are based only on the FITA
targets. By offering 'fun shoots' we are enabling archers to be comfortable
with alternative shooting situations, and thus be more likely to succeed in
these competitions. An archer that can shoot successfully at these is proved
to be a better all-around archer than one that shoots consistently well only
at the FITAs. I know that for some reason, I am usually more successful with
alternative targets. I tend to stress out with the FITAs and they weren't
much fun for me for a while.

As far as knowing standings, well, I have always felt that we put a bit too
much emphasis on this. I prefer to do the best that I can, but my abilities
are not near those of my Mentor, nor those of many other archers in this
kingdom. I know that, but I still enjoy shooting with them, and I am still
making progress. I don't need a table on a website or a number to tell me
that. Shooting Royal Rounds will not make me a better archer. Practice will,
no matter what I shoot at.

It doesn't really matter if there are more numbers or less posted, so long
as we are still holding practices. Chances are this is a cyclical lapse in
the numbers being submitted and this will turn around again. We know that we
have some of the best archers in the Known World, and really don't need
something posted to prove it. This cycle will turn around again, probably
along with the return or stabilization of gas prices and the increased
participation in all SCA activities.

In the meantime, we need to keep shooting, have fun, and work to improve the
community. Negativity will not help. Promote your practices, everyone. Turn
them into family activities, if possible. Make sure that your loaner gear is
up to par so that everyone can participate and make it fun. Shoot a Royal
Round or IKAC once in a while, but mostly make sure that people have fun!

Lyneya de Grey

P.S. Have you hugged your local marshal today? It's a tedious, thankless job
sometimes. If you aren't a branch marshal, make sure that you give your
local marshal a pat on the back and some well-deserved thanks.