[Ansteorra-archery] Need input from archery marshals please :)

David Ruff davidsbox01 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 09:43:39 PDT 2006

I thank you for the thoughts and see the reasoning behind it. I know the sharp edges will cut bails as i had to replace a bail from a glancing shot. But have yet to do it on a dulled one. Better safe then sorry however and can understand it :)

  Thanks again for the input, i can atleast give some infomation on possibles when someone wants to use them.

  Ulrich

jack spinks <jlspinks at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Yes. I am familiar with the ones you use and have allowed them in the past. Mainly because of the shortness of the edges. Were they any longer I would have disallowed them due to potential damage to the butt. Even at that- were more folks using them I would be hesitant to allow even those. A dozen shots with a sharper edge by one archer one time is one thing. Having many arrows and especially higher power crossbows shooting on butts would be another. Were I calling it today I would probably simply go with a "no edges" rule of thumb with edge being defined as anything that could be made sharp with a few strokes of a file.

Pug Bainter
wrote: I think that you will find as the others have mentioned. It will be on a case
by case basis when you get to the field depending on the head design.

I do know that those who have not allowed 'sharp' bodkins in the past still
allow the ones I use which have a hard edge but not one of the needle points
or knife edges which what most are concerned with. Mine are not modbods which
I think you are describing, but they are short bodkins with a 4 sided pyramid
point.

Ciao,
Pug