[Ansteorra-archery] crossbows

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri May 19 21:16:14 PDT 2006

Lord EinarR Ragnarson wrote:
> I am new to this list. Are crossbows allowed at
> archery competition? Or are there maybe separate
> competitions for them?
>
> "Honour es le Vie"
>
> Lord EinarR Ragnarson

Crossbows are allowed in target archery competitions in the SCA and in
Ansteorra.

In some very few cases the tournament organizers may ask for handbows
only.

In some few cases there are separate handbow and crossbow divisions (ya
gotta have enough crossbowmen show-up for that to happen).

In most cases the crossbowmen shoot alongside the handbowmen  and
typically in Ansteorra if the crossbowmen are shooting alongside the
handbowmen competing for the same prize they are asked to remain
standing and not kneel or sit.

In all cases it is up to the tournament sponsors as to what they will
allow and the limitations then place.  Unless the printed or online
event announcements say no crossbows (and that is rare) then you should
assume that crossbows are welcome.

You should strive to use a crossbow that is a period style crossbow
without adjustable rear sights and blatantly modern stocks.  Again much
of this is up to the tournament organizers but everyone is always
encouraged to use equipment of a period style and equipment.

Go to http://archery.ansteorra.org  and read the materials there.
Perhaps the best description of what would be allowed in most SCA target
archery tournaments can be found in the IKAC rules and Ansteorran Royal
Round rules.

Here is what the Ansteorran Royal Rounds rules say:

*Open Crossbow*
Both modern and period style crossbows may participate in the
Open/Crossbow division. Crossbows may participate only in the crossbow
divisions.

No compound crossbows.

Simple open or peep sights are allowed in the rear. No front sites are
allowed. Optical sights of any kind are not allowed.

There is no minimum or maximum weight for the prod. The prod may be of
any material.

The bolts are to be wood with feather fletches or fletches from some
other material used in period such as leather, parchment, or thin wood.

Plastic nocks are allowed in the open division.

Any type of lock mechanism is allowed.

The crossbow may be shot from any position. But the crossbow may be held
only by the hands, not on sandbags, etc. Slings are not allowed for
shooting, but may be used to carry the crossbow.

*Period Crossbow*
Only period style crossbows may participate in this division. Crossbows
may participate only in the crossbow divisions.

To be counted as a period style crossbow all the following conditions
must be met:
1) The stock must be made of wood.
2) It may not have a rifle style butt.
3) It may not have a modern style lock (some forms of self stopping nuts
are in period, however) or a trigger.
4) It may not have sights.

The prod may be of any material and there is no minimum or maximum
weight for the prod.

The nut in the lock mechanism may be of any material.

The string may be of any material.

Bolts may be of any wood and are to be fletched with feathers, parchment
or other period materials. There may be from two to four fletches.

Nocks shall be self or reinforced (no plastic nocks).

The crossbow may be shot from any position. But the crossbow may be held
only by the hands, not on a sandbag, etc. Slings are not allowed for
shooting, but may be used to carry the crossbow.

Regards,

-Eadric