[Ansteorra-archery] William Arwemakere Gulf Wars Video: Ravine Battle

dannym at austin.rr.com dannym at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 19:39:53 PDT 2008

That really is a great video.

Sure could use audio though.

I did a lot of work with a headcam and a miniDV camcorder.  MiniDV is MPEG-2 with very little compression, it retains excellent quality during heavy motion.  The MPEG-4/DivX/Xvid stuff has quality issues with headcams, the full-screen motion doesn't compress and the hardware won't allocate enough bandwith to maintain quality.  Of course if you're gonna put it up on YouTube it'll have similar quality issues since YouTube uses similar compression.

I've been eyeing the new 2.5" HDD-DVR drive enclosures.  They're <$100 on eBay, you put in the drive, and it can work as an external hard drive enclosure but it also has play/record functions and video i/o.  So you can play a movie off just that.  The problem though is that despite having the gigs needed for proper mpeg-2 like miniDV has, they only record in MPEG4/DivX/Xvid and judging by the bandwidth figures I've seen it looks like the same quality level as the ones based on small compact flash memory cards.    I'm waiting for someone to make one that does high bandwidth recording I guess.

Oznog