[Ansteorra-archery] Changing glue

dannym at austin.rr.com dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 15:48:30 PDT 2008

I talked with Eclectic Products recently, the makers of Goop and E6000.  These products are quite similar.  Actually Eclectic Products has a whole family of very similar products.

Goop uses toluene as a solvent.  E6000 uses perchloroethylene  (aka PERC, aka tetrachloroethylene).  PERC is nonflammable but is a more regulated chemical because it's linked to birth defects making it difficult to put into a "home use" product.

The "marine", "lawn and garden", and "Sports and Outdoors" grades have UV stabilizers intended to make them last longer outdoors.  Several other products have it too.

The "Amazing Goop", "household", "automotive", "plumbing", and "craft" are all toluene solvents and only differ slightly with the amount of solvent used which changes the viscosity of the pre-cured product.  As best I could tell from talking to their people, they aren't actually different glues except for the solvent percentage and there's no fundamental difference in the dried product.  They just differentiated it for marketing purposes.  E6000 is different only in that it contains that PERC solvent but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the dried product either.  There's probably some technical differences in the drying rate and surface bonding due to the way the different solvents attack the surface it's bonding to, although for PE/HDPE/UHMW I doubt it matters because neither solvent will attack these substrates in any way AFAIK.

Oznog