[Ansteorra-archery] Effective Immediately

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Aug 19 05:51:16 PDT 2008

The "good news" is that during the January re-write of the Ansteorra rules,
there are very few changes we have to make to our law. We mostly need to
make changes to our procedures.

That being said, the "bad news" is that we require a minimum of 1" of
padding in front of the blunt. With there being no more or less than 1" of
padding in front of the blunt, that makes for a near impossible situation
for people to build, let alone have last for any reasonable time frame after
the padding breaks down.

With the diameter extended to 1.5" from 1.25", I think reducing our padding
to Society to comply with this is probably going to be reasonable. Part of
the reason we had 1" of padding in front of the head was to help absorb the
blow into the padding with the small surface area. Going from the Ansteorra
standard to the new Society standard is probably going to give a similar
effect. While the overall volume of padding is less, the surface area that
the energy is being transferred through is much higher.

.         Ansteorra

o   Dimensions: 1.25" x 1"

o   Volume: 4.9 Cubic Inches

o   Surface area:  1.227 Sq Inches

.         Society

o   Dimensions: 1.5" x 0.5"

o   Volume: 3.5 Cubic Inches

o   Surface area: 1.767 Sq Inches

.         Typical Camp foam (3/8")

o   Dimensions: 1.5" x 0.75"

o   Volume: 5.3 Cubic Inches

o   Surface area: 1.767 Sq Inches

  This is an increase of 44% of the surface area for transfer of energy. As
well, since many people are using the cheaper foam (camp pads) will be
needing to use more foam to get to the 0.5" requirement and not exceed the
1" requirement, the volume is actually higher.

Ciao,

Pug