[Ansteorra-archery] Crossbow Binding

William Black Dragon hlironwyrm at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 7 16:00:21 PDT 2008

I had to have my first Iolo crossbow's bridle retied three
times by Iolo within the first two years I owned it.  He
would use linen and I would get rot problems if I got it
damp, which happens.

I've tried using a lot of different types of cord from
cotton to synthetic sinew over the last ten years, but I've
been most happy and had fewest problems using heavy tarred
nylon trot line you can get at most sporting good stores.
Eadric maybe right about the nylon stretching out but if I
don't have replace my crossbow bridle within three years of
hard use I'm more than satisfied with it.

When I tie a crossbow bridle what I do is use about 20-25
yds of cord, center the cord in the eye of the stock, then
begin to loop the cord over the keeper block and thread
through the eye, reverse and do it again.  Ya pull the cord
ends tight and check your alignment every few passes, when
you have only a couple yards left on each your ends you
loop & knot the cord around the bundle close to the hole
then begin a running lash on the bundle to further tighten.
 Remember, just do a couple of lashes on each side checking
the prod's alignment & tightness as you go.  If you don't
pay attention to what your doing here and tighten unevenly
you'll have to cut the bridle off and start again.  To
finish the bundle off make two separate cord loops and wrap
one inside of your last six lashes on each side.   Knot off
your cord around the bundle, thread it through your loop
and pull the loop through your lashing just like you were
tying off a string serving.  Trim the ends close to the
bundle and tuck any extra remaining ends behind the bridle.
 If you watched your prod alignment well and kept your cord
tight, you should be good to go.

Happy hunting,

Ironwyrm

--- Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair