[Ansteorra-archery] Effective Immediately

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Aug 19 09:03:26 PDT 2008

Pug Bainter wrote:

> The "good news" is that during the January re-write of the Ansteorra
> rules, there are very few changes we have to make to our law. We
> mostly need to make changes to our procedures.
>

> That being said, the "bad news" is that we require a minimum of 1" of
> padding in front of the blunt. With there being no more or less than
> 1" of padding in front of the blunt, that makes for a near impossible
> situation for people to build, let alone have last for any reasonable
> time frame after the padding breaks down.

This is same problem based by all Fellwalker blunt kingdoms.  Fellwalker
blunts are required to have 1" min, the new society rule is 1" max.  The
society marshals are trying to figure the best way to address this.  It
is being actively worked.  Whatever path is taken for the Fellwalker
should work for use as well.  Or we can do something completely different

The society standard for min padding remains 1/2" and currently Gulf War
is 3/4".  We could change or rules and go with either of those but
whatever we do we want our in-kingdom standards to be something that can
be used at Gulf War.  The Gulf War marshals are discussing this.

> With the diameter extended to 1.5" from 1.25", I think reducing our
> padding to Society to comply with this is probably going to be
> reasonable. Part of the reason we had 1" of padding in front of the
> head was to help absorb the blow into the padding with the small
> surface area. Going from the Ansteorra standard to the new Society
> standard is probably going to give a similar effect. While the overall
> volume of padding is less, the surface area that the energy is being
> transferred through is much higher.
>
> <some snippage>
>
>   This is an increase of 44% of the surface area for transfer of
> energy. As well, since many people are using the cheaper foam (camp
> pads) will be needing to use more foam to get to the 0.5" requirement
> and not exceed the 1" requirement, the volume is actually higher.

The big reason we had 1" of padding was to keep from denting rapier
masks.  dent a mask a few times and it can start to fail a punch test.
We dont want to destroy peoples equipment.  Even a 1/2" paddd blunts
hits no harder than a Baldar blunt and certainly hits far less hard than
a sword.  But a 1/2: padded blunt isn't suitable on the rapier field.

While the sidewrap does add surface area, but it also adds stiffness.
It keeps to foam from deforming and restricts lateral movement of the
foam.  So while there may be more surface area, the foam is more stiff.

Part of the problem has been that people are using the cheaper foam
rather than good foam.  In all of the reported incidents that I am aware
of the foam was either simply too soft or had broken down after use.  It
was noted in the Pennsic instances that the foam was to the point that
they would not have passed another inspection.  Adding a sidewrap to the
cheaper foam certainly helps it a lot.

Regards,

-EA