[Ansteorra-archery] [Ansteorra-missile] New Archer Prepping for war

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Feb 27 15:55:14 PST 2008

Chuck Kaun wrote:
> When did that change?  From what I understand, everyone on the field
> requires Armored Combat authorization since there are no longer
> non-contact missile people on the field of battle.
Sorta.

I think perhaps people get confused by the way our cards are printed.

In some other kingdoms they have bifold wallet cards and ya gotta
authorize for about every weapon separately.  Sword Board - check, pole
arm - check, mass weapon - check, two handed weapons - check, combat
archery - check.  Welcome to the Midrealm, is all your paperwork in order?

Other kingdoms there is a single authorization.  Once you are authorized
you can use anything allowed on that field.  No separate weapons forms
authorizations.

Ansteorra is somewhere in between.  We authorize separately for CA,
Siege, and Fiberglass spear weapons forms.

When the SCA did away with non-contact combatants Ansteorran did not go
as far as to say that all Combat Archers must FIRST get a basic Armored
Combat authorization although in general we have always suggested it.
Pretend the checkbox on the card that says "Armored Combat"  to actually
read "Armored Hand-to-Hand Combat"  and the box that reads "Armored
Missile Combat"  to read well... "Armored Missile Combat".

They are both Armored Combat authorizations.  When you are authorized
for either you are supposed to demonstrate all of the same familiarity
right up to the familiarity of weapons and that is where they diverge
slightly.

** When you get any form of armored combat authorization you must
demonstrate that you understand the rules of the lists, the SCA armor
standards, the SCA conventions of combat, and the ability to function on
the field in a manner safe to yourself and others.   The conventions of
combat and functioning on the field include such things as behavior on
the field, how to die, yield, what to do when holds are called, what the
legal target areas are, and the ability to receive and judge blows from
weapons you will encounter.  The SCA rules tell us we have to cover
those things for everyone on the field.

When a fighter is authorized they also have to show familiarity with the
weapons standards for the weapons they are being authorized to use.  For
Armored Combat Archers that means bows and their ammo and thrown weapons.

If you have "Armored Combat" checked off on your card then in Ansteorra
you are allowed to use a Sword and Shield ,an axe, a mace ,a spear, a
glaive, a madu, a great weapon, etc.  You shouldn't have that checked
off on your card if you haven't shown appropriate familiarity with those
weapons.

To participate in CA all you are required to have is the "Armored Combat
Archery" box checked off but as a part of that authorization process we
are also supposed to assure that you know the stuff in the paragraph
marked ** above.   If someone comes to me and they show me a card and
they already have an "Armored Combat" authorization and they want to get
"Armored Combat Archery"  then my just is a lot easier.  Somebody else
already signed off that they new all of the ** stuff and all I gotta
cover is the CA specifics.

> However, getting your authorization for Armored Combat as a combat
> archer is a little simpler than the average heavy fighter, they
> basically make you aware of what the basic rules are and what is or is
> not a counted blow. They generally dont make you go fight with a sword
> and board, its more to make sure you are safe on the field.
You should demonstrate that you can receive blows and judge them
accordingly.  That is part of functioning on the field.  On more than
one occasion at wars I have seen a Combat Archer freak out because some
fighter jumps across and whacks them with a sword.... and despite the
fact that somebody had authorized them to be on that armored combat
field that was the first time they had ever been hit with a sword.  They
weren't prepared for it, it scared them, it hurt more than they were
accustomed to, and the freaked out.  Then other people start freaking
out because they are worried that struck person was hurt (and thus why
they were freaking out), or that it was an excessive blow, or....  ya
get the idea.

Ya shouldn't be on the field unless ya know what it is like to be hit.
I personally wont authorize folks if they don't.  That doesn't mean they
have to get tent pegged.  It just means that that they should have
experienced a good average shot from the weapons they can be expected to
encounter.

Again in summary of the above.  If our current Earl Marshal as decided
that for someone to participate as a Combat Archer that in addition to
getting a CA authorization they also must have the separate "Armored
Combat" authorization, then I do not believe that decision has been
communicated to the CA Authorizing Marshals. (or I missed it)
> Also, the difference between the thrown and hand to hand rules are
> basically the use of gauntlets versus demi gauntlets.  Thus, If you
> have demi's, you gotta throw it, you cant stand and hack with it.
Yep, hitting, stabbing, blocking with a weapon requires full hand
protection.  But that is not the only differences in the rules.  If you
are gunna pick us a sword  you are supposed to know what a legal sword
is, if you are gunna pick up spear you are supposed to know what a legal
spear is, etc.  You are also supposed to know how to remain in control
of those weapons and to not hit too hard and injure folks with them and
there may be some subtle differences there.  For instance with a spear
you are supposed to thrust to the face substantially lighter than you
would to the torso and you are supposed to know that and are responsible
for doing that.

So, if I have a light rattan spear weighing under 2 pounds and all I
have on is demi gauntlets then all I can do is throw it.  But if I have
full gauntlets I can block with it, and thrust with it and at that point
I would be using a "spear" in hand to hand combat  and there is a little
bit more to know about how the weapon is supposed to be used.

Regards,

-EA