[Ansteorra-archery] CA Authorizations

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Feb 28 13:47:10 PST 2008

Ken Theriot (kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com) said something that sounded like:
>> <On that note, perhaps the Marshalate ought to give some thought to
>> putting some kind of authorization standards and procedures down in
>> writing. I've seen authorizing marshals run authorizations any number of
>> ways; not necessarily wrong but not always looking at the same things.>
>
> That's a good idea.  I have formulated some of my own "minimums" for a
> candidate to understand and be able to demonstrate before I authorize them.
> It is the same thing for authorizing AC, which I also do.  But nobody (to my
> knowledge) has written them down.  It's all very well to say "read the
> rules," but if you're interested, here are the things I want to make sure a
> candidate understands, and can do before authorizing them.  Perhaps this can
> be a start to a standard list.

Here is the list I used for each category when I was Kingdom Missile
Marshal, but it is just an outline for my reference. This is old so it
may have some outdated material, but I think I caught it all.

Archery Authorization Expectations

1. Combat Archer
   a. Already authorized as a chivalric or rapier fighter?
      i. If yes, you can assume they know the normal rules of engagement,
         behavior on the field, etc
      ii. If no, with the assistance of the appropriate type of marshal
          do the following until the marshal is comfortable:
          i. Have their armor kit checked
          ii. Understand the rules of engagement
          iii. Understand safety of the field
          iv. Receive and understand blows from light through excessive
   b. General discussion regarding on-field specifics that the fighter
      should know with regards to combat archery
      i. Archer Gauntlets on both hands
      ii. Distance
      iii. Understand safety lines
      iv. Understand invalid targets
         1. Marshals
         2. By-standers
      v. Do not strike or block with the bow/crossbow
      vi. Gleaning rules
   c. General discussion regarding their equipment
      i. Basic understanding of bow/crossbow poundage and safety factors
         1. Shafted ammo
            a. Bow
               i. Measured at 28" draw
               ii. Maximum 30 pounds
            b. Crossbow
               i. Computed in Inch Pounds (IP)
               ii. Draw poundage multiplied by measured draw
               iii. Maximum 600 IP w/ 75 pound draw
         2. Tube ammo
            a. Bow
               i. Measured at 28" draw
               ii. Maximum 40 pounds
            b. Crossbow
               i. Computed in Inch Pounds (IP)
               ii. Draw poundage multiplied by measured draw
               iii. Maximum 800 IP w/ 90 pound draw
         3. Basic check for string, limb and firing defects
      ii. Basic understanding of how their specific ammo is made
         1. If they plan on using more than one style they should understand
            each of them
   d. Field test
      i. Can they safely draw and fire their bow/crossbow while in full armor
      ii. Can they properly aim their bow/crossbow at a valid target
      iii. Can they do the above while on the move
      iv. Speed nor complete accuracy are critical, but safety is

2. Combat Archery Marshal
   a. Must understand all items of a Combat Archer
   b. Must understand inspection of most, if not all, ammo used in Ansteorra
   c. Must be able to inspect bow/crossbow for safety and compliance
   d. Must understand safety of the field
   e. Must know when to call on someone with more knowledge
   f. Must know how to report and do it
   g. Must stand behind their decisions for passing equipment or fighter
      for the field
      i. Passing equipment/fighter that is found to be unacceptable can
         result in, at minimum, revocation of marshal privileges
   h. Must keep and maintain in good order the tools required to inspect
      combat archery equipment & marshal combat archery activities upon
      the field

3. Authorizing Combat Archery Marshal
   a. Must know all items of a Combat Archery Marshal
   b. Must know all items of a Combat Archer
   c. Must be the person who is more knowledgeable for people to go to
   d. Must know how to report and do it
   e. Must stand behind their decisions for every person they authorize
      i. Authorizing someone who is found to be unacceptable can result,
         at minimum, in revocation of authorization privileges