[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery Authorizations

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 28 18:34:47 PST 2008

Jed Tressler wrote:
> So a question for consideration and debate.  The impetuous for this
> question comes from considering the requirements of combat archery in
> regard to our other contact activities.
>
> Why do you have to go to a melee practice to get authorized as a
> Combat Archer?
>
> I ask this question because I believe the necessity of a melee
> practice for authorization is a major block for allot of people
> joining this activity.  Also, I believe that if we look very carefully
> at what it is important for a combat archer to demonstrate in that
> melee, we can actually design authorization techniques that require
> only a few people (say 5ish) instead of the 20 I see more often looked
> for.

Actually, I did one last weekend with 8 fighters on the field. It
doesn't /have/ to be a 20-man melee, just a melee.

Now, when I was in Atlantia they did CA authorizations one-on-one with a
single heavy fighter, who chased the archer around while the archer
tried to reload and shoot him. The advantage is that it doesn't take
more than 1 fighter to do this; the disadvantage is that it's about as
far from a melee as you can get.

I think doing archery in a melee setting is a Good Thing, since archery
is purely a melee activity. You just about never see it anywhere else
than on the melee field. Whether other fighters should also be
authorized in melee combat (and have to authorize in a melee as well) is
another issue altogether. But you can get AC authorized and go fight in
tourneys; as a combat archer you won't be doing this, so our
authorizations are oriented around what you /will/ be doing as an archer.

Charles,
BG