[Ansteorra-archery] Huntsman reminderRoyal Rounds and IKAC

Patrick R tex_yankee2004 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 17 20:31:27 PST 2008

Just a reminder the Hunstman competition is coming up in a few weeks.

jack spinks <jlspinks at sbcglobal.net> wrote:  I will throw my two cents in.

It does not matter what you shoot as long as you shoot. FITA targets give me a good measure of how well I am grouping my arrows or how I need to adjust my aim. When I am shooting a lot then it does not matter whether I am shooting at a FITA or a 3D or whatever. I know where the arrow is going to go because I have shot enough to know my equipment and to develop the strength and skill to make that call. I have not been able to shoot much the last couple of years due to health issues but I am still shooting when I can. I am hoping this year to participate a lot more. I am competitive and IKAC gives me a way to compare my ability against others without necessarily having to go shoot against them or to spend the time and expense to do so (and in this day of $60 dollar tanks of gas that is something). 3D is just another target and is usually less forgiving of a miss since the size is usually not very large. Moving targets are a lot more fun. Both can either discourage
or encourage you depending on your skill level.

And I, for what it is worth, still remember when I first started shooting and could still miss a 3 foot target at 10 yards until I learned the equipment. Eventually I could get all my arrows in the target at 40 yds and the FITA helped me do that and improve that accordingly so I could eventually get most of them in the scoring areas. Now I have retired my original heavy recurve bow and am trying to master the lighter and shorter horsebow for accuracy. My way of having fun since I know what I can do with the heavy bow.

Still it comes down to the same thing. It does not matter what you shoot at as long as you shoot. RR takes 30 minutes and IKAC takes 90 minutes to complete and I prefer the IKAC because it improves my strength, speed and accuracy at range- even though I have not shot one recently. Yes they are boring but they do give a way for archers far apart to compare against each other.

OK. Maybe more than 2 cents worth but it is my view. Just go shoot.
Jaque the Spink

Eadric Anstapa wrote:
ld.blackmoon wrote:
> greetings
>
> while i am but a lowly archer ( very noisy though ; )
>
> ( and i have to say first that you have done wonders in the archery
> comunity, but not everyone can afford to play at your level . just my
> opinion )

Arthur everyones participation is limited to what they can afford.
Similarly people are going to limit themselves (even those who might be
able to afford anything) to what they enjoy.

My point is that those who are sometimes critical that others are not
shooting as many Royal Rounds or IKAC ends as some might think they
should should stop and consider that those other archers may be active
and serving in other ways. I will have a dozen or so archers with me at
Gulf War this year that didn't shoot a single IKAC round this past
year. However, we were very busy at Gulf War and Pennsic, worked many
many hours at both wars, attended and marshaled many tournaments and
events in Ansteorra, and were virtually the only people teaching at AoB
( the exception was Robin who also didn't shoot at IKACs and who also
served at war and throughout the kingdom) . In general these folks who
didn't shoot IKAC rounds had a very high level of extremely productive
activity without the need to shoot an IKAC and don't miss IKAC at all.

> i would have to ask ??
> does anyone have any solid numbers on how many archers ansteorra has that
> shoot on a regular basis ??

Sure, as a recent regional marshal you know those numbers were available
to you. Branch marshals are supposed to report each quarter the number
of active archers in their branches and the regional marshals should be
wrapping those numbers up and reporting them to the kingdom marshal. If
all the marshals reported properly then the kingdom marshal should be
able to get pretty close to telling you how many active archers their
are in the kingdom because if those active archers are active without a
marshal who is overseeing and reporting that activity there is a problem.

> as well as numbers on how many of those archers can afford the time and
> money to attend those far off wars ?? every year ??

I don't know how anyone would have any "who can afford what"
information. However, people make choices all the time. Some are
forced to make choices based on what they can afford but I hope everyone
makes choices on what they enjoy the most and hopefully where they can
be most productive.

I do spend a lot of money on the SCA each year. But as a percentage of
my income I spend a far far smaller amount than I did when I was a poor
broke 20 year old college student. Back then my armor looked like crap,
food for the entire event consisted of uncooked hot dogs, a cheap can of
pork and beans, and the cheapest loaf of white bread I could afford. We
couldn't afford to travel alone but had to cram 8 people in my van to go
to war so we could pool all our gas money together. We didn't have nice
camps or gear and didn't have enough money or cargo space for lots of
tents and often crammed 4 folks for a week into a 10x12 tent. We made a
choice to be there and scrimped and saved and pooled our resources and
went out and were active and still tell stories and talk about how much
fun it was back when we didn't have any money to go to events.

It's about choice. Some archers choose a recurve, some choose a
longbow, some choose a crossbow, some choose not to shoot IKAC but
instead to do something they enjoy more.

-EA