[Ansteorra-archery] A feasibility question

jack spinks jlspinks at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 19 20:24:03 PST 2008

Well- we have occassionally had all three at Steppes Warlord.  It is possible to run an IKAC and pull Royal Round scores out of the IKAC and, indeed, this is not uncommon.  Fun shoots are just that and can easily be done.   The problem is usually number of archers versus the amount of time to run the shoots.  IKAC takes about 90 minutes to complete if things are moving well and not too much time is spent on arrow searches. The problem comes with the number of archers vs the number of available targets.  typical is usually not more than about a dozen archers on the line- tops- at most events.  If you have 30 plus archers at an event such as Warlord it takes 4-5 hours to complete a shoot.  Even a fun shoot such as William Tell shoot can take a lot of time if you have a number of archers.  Even a small number of archers can take a while to complete a shoot if you are using double elimination and a slower fomat that does not allow a lot of archers on the line at once.

  This is based on my experience as an archery marshal.  The main issue is really more one of logistics than any thing else.  And if you have that much time dedicated to archery there is often no time for anything else.
  HL Jaque the Spink

Bridget the Stargazer <bridgetthestargazer at hotmail.com> wrote:

Greetings all,

I have been thinking about this since the discussion started about IKAC and RR versus "fun shoots". I haven't read all the posts and therefore may have missed something that answers this question. If so, please forgive me. Would it be possible to have both IKAC & RR and fun shoots at an event? How much space would be needed? How many people would be needed to run this? Can we have both? I don't have the experience to know the answers to these questions. It may be some of you are shaking your heads and asking "doesn't she realize...?". No, I don't realize, that's why I'm asking.

respectfully,
Bridget the Stargazer