[Ansteorra-archery] advice for 3 kings'

Karen Calhoun hlykatya at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 08:01:55 PDT 2008

I would like to ask for your opinion.  The heavy marshal and seneschal for Rosenfeld have thrown out a suggestion for 3 Kings this year and I'm not certain that I can back this one up.  I'm new at this and tend to lean in the "over-safe" direction.  Your help and advice would be appreciated.

It has been proposed that a "cart scenario" be set up to challenge the archers.  The basic task is to shoot from a moving hay cart at assorted targets.  This information is sketchy at the moment but I'm seeing a wagon of some sort with a seat or rail.  The cart would be pulled and the archer must shoot at assorted targets.

My concern is the bumping and jostling issue.  Could this cause misfires with the arrow/bolt going in whatever direction?  What kind of safety zone will be required?  Seated, standing or you choose?  How do I keep the person pulling the cart out of the danger zone?

Again, this is very much in the planning stages.  I am seeking your wisdom to see ifthis idea is even possible and can be performed safely.  I look forward to your suggestions and advice.

HLy Katya
Deputy Archery Marshal, Steppes
Glaslyn's Keeper of the Flame, Archery