[Ansteorra-archery] advice for 3 kings'

Kihe Blackeagle kihebard at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 10:31:31 PDT 2008

Katya, IMNSHO this can be done "safely" in one of several ways.  Some may be a little out of the ordinary (but I believe you have some idea about how I think...)

1.  "Pull away home":  the cart starts 15 (20? more?) feet away from target and is pulled directly away (steadily increasing range).  Safety panel / netting between archer and "draft team"

2.  "Steady... Steady... NOW! <pause> Gee Up!":  cart pauses to fire, reload/nock

3.  Set range so cart remains on pavement / "road" (i.e. less bumpy)

4.  "Across the range":  safety panel / net between archer and pull team; steady pace; practice runs (nock/load WITHOUT firing on practice passage

5.  Handcart Havoc:  acknowledge that these are handcarts, archer recruits own team; firing is done from normal position on ground, but there is a "course" that the cart traverses between stands / firing positions, and the archer (with equipment!) must ride the cart over the course.  (Think in terms of modern biathlon, substituting carts for snow skis?)
Fiendish mode engaged... KATYA!  Now you've gone and done it -- will have to see what I can talk some Northshielders into for these next two big events.
ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe / Adieu, Amra Mike C. Baker / Kihe Blackeagle Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em SCA: al-Sayyid Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA "Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen http://www.livejournal.com/users/kihebard/

From: hlykatya at hotmail.comTo: ansteorra-archery at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:01:55 -0500Subject: [Ansteorra-archery] advice for 3 kings'

I would like to ask for your opinion.  The heavy marshal and seneschal for Rosenfeld have thrown out a suggestion for 3 Kings this year and I'm not certain that I can back this one up.  I'm new at this and tend to lean in the "over-safe" direction.  Your help and advice would be appreciated. It has been proposed that a "cart scenario" be set up to challenge the archers.  The basic task is to shoot from a moving hay cart at assorted targets.  This information is sketchy at the moment but I'm seeing a wagon of some sort with a seat or rail.  The cart would be pulled and the archer must shoot at assorted targets.   My concern is the bumping and jostling issue.  Could this cause misfires with the arrow/bolt going in whatever direction?  What kind of safety zone will be required?  Seated, standing or you choose?  How do I keep the person pulling the cart out of the danger zone? Again, this is very much in the planning stages.  I am seeking your wisdom to see ifthis idea is even possible and can be performed safely.  I look forward to your suggestions and advice. HLy KatyaDeputy Archery Marshal, SteppesGlaslyn's Keeper of the Flame, Archery