[Ansteorra-archery] Archery Discussion

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Thu Oct 2 12:14:02 PDT 2008

I honestly don't think there is any data on correlations between situations
where a bystander was hit, and the "strictness" of the shooter's
authorization process.  In fact, I'd like to see "official" data (as in
officially filed SCA reports) where a bystander in a legal area was hit.
I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'd just like to see it if it does.  Then
we can act from a position of real knowledge.  If there is no correlation,
then there is no logic to the presupposition that "more training and
observation prior to authorization will reduce safety incidents."

Will bystanders sometimes get hit by a stray combat arrow?  Probably.  The
question we NEED answered before we assume it only (or even usually) happens
because the archer was not properly trained, is whether there is any data to
support that assertion.

I'd be willing to bet large sums of cash that we would see no change in the
number of spectators hit if we err a little LESS on the side of caution.
I'm absolutely not suggesting that we turn someone loose on the field whom
we have not seen demonstrate the minimum requirements (as described below).
Both Eadric and I are saying that it needn't require participation in
multiple melee/archery "wars," it needn't require a "buddy" separate from
the authorizing marshal to observe all day, etc.  Those are restrictions
some have assumed are mandatory.

If I have spent enough time talking to the candidate to ensure they can
repeat the rules back to me and understand them, and observing their actions
in a few melee scenarios (enough to allow me to see if they can control
their shots, not poke someone in the eye with their bow, and not shoot
arrows toward the onlookers, etc.), then I'm gonna authorize.

Reasonable assurance using logical procedures based on actual evidence is
what we need.  Any more than that and we DO make it too hard, especially if
it is merely a response to perceived political pressure.

YIS,

Kenneth