[Ansteorra-archery] UHMW Heads

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue Oct 7 07:02:25 PDT 2008

The "supposed" logic of this is that even with a 1-1/2 in. diameter blunt,
the padding can still get squishy enough over time to penetrate the grill of
a helmet.  By "wrapping" padding that covers all the tip and part of the
blunt, this is "supposedly" made less likely.  I would REALLY like to see
what experimental trials were used to determine that.  But I suspect it was
just something that seemed to "make sense" to those in charge.  Just like it
"seemed" that it would be necessary to use wraps that were at least 1/8-inch
thick in order to add the required additional 1/4-inch of girth.
Mathematically, that SEEMS like it would work.  As a matter of fact, most
people were saying you needed something thicker than 1/8-inch because there
would be some compression when you tape around the wrap.

Guess what?  The first few arrows I retrofitted with 1/4-inch padding ended
up looking like marshmallows on toothpicks!  I turns out that not only is
there not very much compression when you tape around the wrap, but almost
all of my arrows were already thicker than 1-1/4 inches.  In fact, they were
damn near 1-1/2 already, much to my surprise.  Thank goodness for Eadric's
suggestion of using the Walmart sticky-back pads!

There is no substitute for real-world results!

Kenneth