[Ansteorra-archery] Archery Discussion

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 3 09:36:44 PDT 2008

Eadric Anstapa wrote:
> If you have access to such inexpensive prods please share your
> sources.  Be aware that an 80# prod may have to be significantly
> underdrawn to be legal.  Likewise there may be problems with making a
> legal bow from a 50# prod.

I'd think there wouldn't be any problems making a/ legal/ crossbow with
a 50# prod. After all, a 50# prod at 10 inches draw would only be 500
ip's, which is quite safely below 650.

I'd think the big problem with it would be making it /practical/, since
most crossbows I've seen draw about 8 inches, which would leave a 50#
bow way underpowered. I man, it would start at 400ip's, but as the prod
ages and the string stretches it'd likely lose power pretty quickly,
resulting in a weapon that can't shoot very far, and doesn't pack a
noticeable punch.

I'd also be really curious about the prods themselves, wondering just
how durable a cheap one is likely to be.

Charles,
BG