[Ansteorra-archery] [Fwd: [Ansteorra] Fwd:Non-Rattan Peerages Survey]

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Sep 19 14:06:49 PDT 2008

I took the survey,  but here are my thoughts.

There are already Non-Rattan Peerages.  Personally I think the whole
nature of this thread almost seems to in some way belittle the members
of the Orders of the Pelican and Laurel and seems to make as if (some)
members of those orders are somehow lesser peers because their peerages
did not come from Martial Arts.

The first peers I met in the SCA were Sir Simonn, Mistress Tessa, and
Mistress Janet.  The qualities they possessed that made an impact on me
at that first event, that got me hooked and helped to form that nucleus
of "the dream" that has kept me in the SCA for 23 years, had essentially
zero to do with Simonn's white belt or his great martial skills.  It was
the other qualities of a peer that they all possessed that made the
lasting impression.   Hard work. Passion. Knowledge and the way they
freely shared it.  The way they encouraged, welcomed, and fostered a
newcomer.  The way they made the SCA feel different and special from
other groups, and the way they made me feel special for choosing to be
there with them in the SCA.  Those are the things I remember.  I was
impressed by remarkable people not remarkable skill with rattan.

In my years in the SCA many of my good friends have been recognized by
the Crown as being Peers of the Realm.  Some as Pelicans, some as
Laurels, and fewer as Knights.  Similarly I believe these are all
remarkable people of great character and I firmly believe that is was
led them to a peerage and not sweat, skills, or swords.

When Their Majesties are made aware of, and decide that person is truly
a remarkable person and a person of great character, I trust that the
person will be elevated and be made a peer regardless of if they have
ever picked up a piece of rattan or not.

Certainly as it currently stands an Archer or a Rapier fighter are not
going to be made members of the Order of Chivalry for prowess in their
non-rattan martial forms but that does not simply exclude those folks
from becoming peers.

As an archer I am keenly aware that there are people who have been
elevated to the Order of the Pelican for their service to the archery
community, there are people who have been elevated to the Order of the
Laurel for their skill as an archer craftsman, and there are people who
have been elevated to the Order of the Laurel for their prowess as an
archer.

I see no compelling reason for a fourth peerage. Those who participate
in the Arts Martial other than rattan fighting already have a path to
peerage using the martial skills they practice. Skills other than rattan
combat skills can be among the reasons you are elevated to Order of the
Laurel.

On the flip-side, other than simple tradition, as the SCA evolves, I see
no reason why the Order of Chivalry must indefinitely remain solely for
those who participate in armored combat using rattan weapons.  However,
I don't see such a change coming anytime soon and not sure that such a
change is something that I would necessarily want to see.  I guess on
this I will remain undecided for a while on that.

Regards,

-EA