[Ansteorra-archery] authorization

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Sep 30 13:51:32 PDT 2008

The directions at that link are somewhat out of date.

Make sure you follow the construction guidelines in  VII.E of the
current Society Marshals Handbook where it says.

    /*E. Throwing Weapons* - These weapons may be used for striking and
    may also be thrown in melee scenarios where thrown weapons are
    allowed. May include thrust-and-throw javelins, axes, knives, etc.  /

       1. /*Shafts shall be constructed of r_attan not less than 1 1/4
          (31.8 mm) inch in diameter along its entire length_ or of _two
          layers of Siloflex or equivalent. The outer layer shall be 1
          inch (25.4 mm) inner diameter Siloflex (1 1/4 inch [31.8mm]
          OD) and the inner layer shall be 0.75 inch (19.1 mm) inner
          diameter Siloflex._*/
       2. /If Siloflex is used, both ends of the shaft shall be covered
          with either a schedule-40 PVC cap with an interior diameter
          the same as the outside diameter of the shaft (1 1/4 inch
          [31.8 mm]), or with a rubber stopper or equivalent means to
          prevent the tubing from penetrating the thrusting tip(s),
          fastened securely in place by tape and/or glue./
       3. /*Thrusting tips shall be used on any tip that can be
          reasonably assumed to contact a fighter when the weapon is
          used or thrown. *Tips shall be no less than 2 inches (50.8 mm)
          in diameter/cross-section and have 2 inches (50.8 mm) of
          resilient material in front of the rigid tip of the weapon,
          thereby providing progressively resistant give./
       4. /If the weapon has a head, it shall not be constructed of
          solely rigid materials. The head shall be firmly and securely
          attached to the haft or handle. The head shall allow at least
          1/2 inch (12.7 mm) of progressive give between the striking
          surface and the weapon haft or handle./
       5. /The weapon must have the owner’s name, kingdom, and group
          clearly and legibly printed on it in English characters for
          identification./
       6. /Total mass of the weapon shall not exceed 2 pounds (0.91 kg)./

Significant changes are in  *RED*

The key there is that you can have a rattan handle/shaft  and if you
have a siloflex handle/shaft it has to be two layers like a siloflex
thrust and throw javelin.  The instruction on Inga's site doesn't cover
rattan and only shows a single layer of siloflex.

As Engenulf indicated for the maces it takes 5 tballs.  4 for the head,
and one for the butt.  Since when these are thrown the spin end-over-end
they want the tball on the butt end to help protect in those instances
where the butt of the weapon will strike your target.  If you are
building an axe rather than a mace you should still use the tball or
something similar on the butt end  i.e.  /V.II.E.3  Thrusting tips shall
be used on any tip that can be reasonably assumed to contact a fighter
when the weapon is used or thrown./

Regards,

-EA