[Ansteorra-archery] missile carpool , long , was Re: Third Quarter 2008 Royal Round Keeper Report

A.N. Novy anovy at suddenlink.net
Mon Sep 8 18:26:56 PDT 2008

Re:  Castellan shoots:  If they didn't ask you for the event flier what
you're doing, how are other archers going to know?  Why didn't you tell them
what you were planning the next 5 years?  I think that no one "bothered" to
show up early or late because they didn't know a RR was being held.

Re:  Freaking out:  Sorry, but I just haven't seen it...The only time I see
people fumbling is when they are new or when the shoot is timed.

Re:  The range being open all day:  If you are running archery at an event,
you are doing the autocrats a favor.  Without you, there would be no
archery.  It is a give and take relationship:  they need you to run archery,
and in return, yes, you do have the right to say, "no, I'm sorry, but the
range will be open from x to y."  Of course you can work with the rapier and
heavy marshals and try to schedule around each other, but I fully believe
you have the right not to be out in the blazing sun all day.  You also have
the right to enjoy the rest of the event.  If you want to run archery in the
morning and then do bardic (or whatever) in the afternoon, you should be
able to do it.  It's your event too.

Re:  Interest in RR at events:  Perhaps this is a "If you hold it, they will
come" type of thing.  I've always had at least a dozen archers shooting the
RR at Guardian/Triumphe.  Even if I only had 2 archers shooting, I would
still hold the RR.  What it's probably going to take is communication
between the archery MIC for an event and the autocrats.  And of course, make
sure the archery schedule is known via the event website, site flier, e-mail
announcements, etc.  When I read Baron Donnchadh's e-mail about there being
RRs at Protectorate, I went, "oooooooooooooooooooooo, I just made my
decision to attend Protectorate."  Unless something unexpected happens, I'll
be there.  And encourage people to think of archery as not just "what the
people who don't fight heavy or rapier do."  Archery takes remarkable skill,
patience, and endurance.  Just because we don't beat or poke each other
senseless doesn't mean we're any less important.  I'm sorry if that has been
your experience.  If you're running an activity at an event, be it archery,
feast, A&S, or heavy fighting:  You.  Are.  Important.

My soapbox.  I'm getting off of it now.

Love you guys,

  _____