[Ansteorra-archery] Crossbow safety for trigger bar?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sun Apr 5 12:37:01 PDT 2009

I have never seen one on a SCA crossbow but I am sure someone has done
it and I just haven't seen it.

While conducting personal research I HAVE seen numerous examples on
extant period crossbows.  Strangely,  I saw tons of them in Denmark and
only a few in Germany.  I got some good pictures in Denmark where they
seemed mostly cool with people taking snapshots.  In Germany virtually
every time I would pull out a camera the security guard would sweep down
on me.

Here is a picture I took of a crossbow in the Danish National museum.
Notice the little switch under the kneeling shooter.  Unfortunately the
crossbow was in class display case and this was the only angle I could get.
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Misc/Copenhagen-087.html

Here is another two crossbows from the Danish Royal Armories.  You can
clearly see how these little switches work to trap the tickler and help
prevent accidental discharge.
http://www.scabrewer.com/scapics/copenhagen/Thursday/Copenhagen-Thur%20024.html
and
http://www.scabrewer.com/scapics/copenhagen/Thursday/Copenhagen-Thur%20026.html

another crossbow in the same collection
http://www.scabrewer.com/scapics/copenhagen/Thursday/Copenhagen-Thur%20052.html
and
http://www.scabrewer.com/scapics/copenhagen/Thursday/Copenhagen-Thur%20053.html

And two crossbows fro the Danish Museum of Hunting and Forestry.  My
apologies for the poorer pics here.  The class cases and lighting made
if VERY difficult to get good shapshots.

Crossbow 1
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Friday/Copenhagen-Fri%20021.html
and
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Friday/Copenhagen-Fri%20022.html
and
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Friday/Copenhagen-Fri%20023.html

Crossbow 2
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Friday/Copenhagen-Fri%20027.html
and
http://www.scabrewer.com//scapics/copenhagen/Friday/Copenhagen-Fri%20029.html

Obviously the tickler design has to be one that will allow such safety's
to work.

Regards,

-EA