[Ansteorra-archery] on the use of archers

jack spinks jlspinks at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 16 16:52:08 PST 2009

I believe the good gentles are correct.  It is only those good kills from that perfect shot that the archers live for just as fighters live for those good kills that they get one on one. And those archer kills are increasingly hard to come by with the slower arrows (APDs and additional foam) and the trend toward limiting arrows carried into battle.

I dont usually shoot combat any more for a variety of reasons.  But how many archers are you talking about?  When I hear the term "volley" I tend to think of a hundred or more in the air.  But how many archers are in a battle- 10?  20?   I just cannot visualize a volley of 20 inaccurate arrows being that effective.

And since the trend is toward shooting slower and slower arrows (additional foam in addition to the APDs) plus limiting the number of arrows that can be carried to 15 or so, I would tend to agree with the archers about "throwing an arrow away" in a volley of fire where the object is simply to get the enemy to react.  If you want the archers to support such you will have to make it worthwhile for them to do so in some way.   I have always considered 50 arrows to be the minimum to go into a battle with.  That is $150 worth and considerable time per arrow for those of you that have not considered such. So why would I want to throw one of those arrows away on a poorly aimed "volley" that might or might not hit someone that might or might not call it?

Jaque