[Ansteorra-archery] volley

jack spinks jlspinks at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 16 19:42:38 PST 2009

Once upon a time perhaps.  Now much depends on the range of the crossbows or bows.  Not sure of the exact range these days with a maxpowered crossbow.  Last one I used was underpowered and 40 yd required a high arch to reach that far- similar to a clout shoot in regular archery.  Perhaps someone else can put better numbers to this than I since I have not shot the newer foam wrapped arrows.  The APDs and the new extra foam both add weight and slow the arrow or crossbow bolt with the result that it does not fly as far.  Do not confuse the power and trajectories of a regular bow or crossbow with combat archery.  Except at close range they are not that similar.  To get an idea of the problem I would suggest getting with a combat archer and seeing just how much arc is necessary to get the range you have in mind.  It is good that heavy fighters are looking at this but you need to understand what the range limits are with a maxpower crossbow.
Jaque