[Ansteorra-archery] my thoughts on commands

Marlin and Amanda Stout ldcharles at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 13 16:18:05 PST 2009

Chuck Kaun wrote:
> This could possibly be effective in multiple shots dependant upon how
> they react.  Are there enough archers to make a volley a viable
> threat?  If so, our own forces can react after the volley while the
> enemy is still getting themselves back to their happy fighting place
> to take advantage of any confusion.

I would think that a volley of any sort just won't work on our
battlefield. All the bad guys have to do is cover up for a few seconds,
and they're safe until /everyone/ reloads. So they would end up with one
guy watching /our/ commander to see when he was ready to order a volley,
then order his troops to take cover.

What would be more damaging (and may be what Caladin has in his evil
little mind) would be to mass archers at one point  on the field and
have them pour a steady rain of arrows into an enemy unit until it
disappears. Then maybe repeat with another unit if there's time.

Our archers are just too damn good to tie them to volley fire,
regardless of how /incredibly cool/ it would look. But a mass of archers
picking an enemy unit to wreckage in a few minutes would be pretty cool
to see too, as long as you're not one of the poor bastards on the
receiving end.

Charles,
BG