[Ansteorra-archery] Couple things

Paul Thorne paul.v.thorne at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 11:54:29 PST 2009

Sir Morgan,

   I believe you have the right of it.  As most experienced archers could
tell you, we can make entire shield walls cover up and worry about one
bolt/arrow coming their way rather easily.  How many of us have heard the
"Archer UP" come rolling across quickly followed by an entire line of
shields going high?  This can be done without a bolt even on the crossbow if
you do it right.  So, knowing that response to a single archer we then add
in multiple archers and (this is important) "aimed" mass fire and I think
you have a formula for success.  One on one, most fighters have little to
fear from Combat archers, but in mass and in melee too many people have
trouble focusing on multiple threats, let's use that to our advantage.   If
you stagger the mass fire and come in from several angles there isn't much
that a shield wall can really do if a group of archers is out for them.
They have two choices, duck and cover hoping for the best or break their
formation and try to get through to kill the archers.  Either way they are
no longer fighting the big fight but merely trying to survive.  If we can
force a portion of a line to standstill or break away to try and get to the
archers have we not succeeded in forcing them to fight our fight?

Jean-Paul DeCalmont