[Ansteorra-archery] Come to "A Day in Sherwood" Next Saturday!

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Sat Feb 21 15:02:02 PST 2009

If you haven't already heard about our archery-centric event next weekend in
Bjornsborg, "A Day in Sherwood"
http://207.58.163.190/greatambience/bjornsborg/Sherwood/Sherwood.htm then
let me tell you all that.we're having an archery-centric event next weekend
in Bjornsborg called "A Day in Sherwood.":-).

One of the main goals of this event, other than just to have a great time,
is to encourage more people to get involved with SCA target and combat
archery.  We will have loaner gear for both types of archery available for
any and all to try their hand.  Here is a bit more information on the day's
archery events:

The morning will be devoted to shooting at targets.  From 9:30-11:00 will be
target archery shoots; an open shoot, and two competitions for the day's
prizes.  From 11:00-12:00 will be shooting at targets with combat archery
equipment.  No armor is required for this as it is designed to allow anyone
(who might not have armor) to try it out.

The feast is a lunch instead of a dinner.  Then in the afternoon, we have
live combat archery in the heavy weapons melee scenarios.  There is a woods
battle and a field battle planned.

At the end of the day, a "champion" will be selected who has excelled in
multiple activities for the day (archery and bardic competitions,
persona-play, etc.).  You don't actually have to WIN any of the competitions
to be named champion!  You could come in second in everything, and still be
selected.  You don't technically even have to enter all the
competitions.though I imagine it would be more difficult for someone who
doesn't to be selected;).

For the target archery portion of the event, any type of bow may participate
in the shoots, and recognition will be given to those who excel.  But due
nefarious reasons of our own (buwahhahaa), the cross-bows will not be
considered for the victor of the target archery portion.

HOWEVER, for live combat archery, cross-bows are definitely part of the
competition!  So a cross-bow archer can still win the overall day's prize.

The site has an actual archery range that is spacious and well-placed for
safety, as archery is a big part of the mundane business of the site.  So
come on out and have a blast!

Happy shooting either way:-)

Kenneth

  _____