[Ansteorra-archery] Source for Scales and Goggles for CA?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Feb 26 14:26:08 PST 2009

Bow scales can be found as cheaply as or $15 or $19 but more typically
in the $30 range.  During the season they can sometimes be found an
Wal-Mart and can often be found at Academy cheaply.

Most online vendors have a handheld bow scale
Try this search
http://www.google.com/products?q=archery+bow+scale

For goggles I DO NOT recommend industrial safety goggles.  Industrial
"shop" safety goggles meeting the ANSI Z87 spec is all that is required
by the rules but long term I think you will be happier and safer if you
spend a few more bucks.

I would recommend that you purchase a set of racquetball goggles.  The
standards for racquetball goggles is MUCH higher than shop goggles.
They are designed to stay put when you are running and bouncing around.
They are designed to be more-antifog than cheap shop goggles.  They are
much more rugged and last much longer.  And  where the stricter
standards come in... their standard require them to be able to take a
MUCH greater impact.  Shop goggles are designed to protect against small
bits of flying materials far smaller and weighing far less and one of
our bolts or arrows.  Racquetball goggles are intended to protect a
persons eyes from the impact of a racquet.  If you have every played
racquetball for very long you have probably been hit with a racquet and
you know how hard/fast you are swinging them.  Racquetball goggles will
actually provide good protection from being hit in the eye with a rattan
sword.  You can get racquetball goggles at about any Wal-Mart, Academy,
or similar sporting goods store and prices start at less than $10.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/racquetball/eyewear
<http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/racquetball/eyewear>

Another option is a Lacrosse eyemask.  The are also designed to
withstand the impact of a swinging stick and stay in place when you are
running around.  The eyemasks also have the advantage of not fogging
(cause it's a wire mask), have great visibility, and are much cooler.
If ya choose to go the  lacrosse eyemask route  ya gotta make sure that
the wire mask  would pass a standard test that you would give a helmet
grill wit ha 1" dowel.
http://www.uslacrosse.org/news/2004/eyewearupdate.phtml
http://www.lacrossemonkey.com/womens-headgear.html
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/lacrosse/goggles
<http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/sports/lacrosse/goggles>

Racquetball and Lacrosse eyewear conform to the  ASTM F803-03 standard
"Standard Specification for Eye Protectors For Selected Sports".  Really
what we do on the SCA field is much much more closely aligned with
eyewear designed for sports rather than those for industrial Z87 goggles.

Regards,

-EA