[Ansteorra-archery] Question About Sherwood Target Archery Competitions

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Fri Jan 16 17:40:11 PST 2009

Most competitions crossbow and handbow compete head to head.  If you are
going to do otherwise you should announce well in advance so archers
don't make a long drive and show up to discover that they can not win
the  Tournament

Of course crossbows are very period for a  Robinhood themed event.  Lets
face it Richard the Lionheart was both himself very fond of the
crossbows and shot one himself  while ironically died by being shot by a
crossbow.

Tournaments can be designed so that crossbows have an advantage and
those designed so that handbows have and  advantage.  Crossbows
generally have a slight advantage at shorter ranges, in slower static
shoots, and at known ranges.   Handbows have advantages in more dynamic,
fast shoots, and at longer ranges.   Good handbowmen will generally
outscore the crossbowman on a 3 second timed end.  A good handbowmen
will generally outscore a crossbow on a clout shoot.

The best archer is going to win.  The Royal Huntsman Tournament has not
been dominated by crossbowmen.  In fact 14 Royal Huntsman tournaments
have been won by handbows and 6 by crossbows.  In fact after winning a
Royal Huntsman with a crossbow there some who may have mentioned that
they thought Ironwyrm won because he was using a crossbow.  To prove em
wrong he came back and won a subsequent Royal Huntsman with a recurve.

If you do decide that only handbowmen can compete then then don't be
surprised if crossbowmen you know don't bother to come to your event and
then don't complain if you don't have the participation you would have
liked.

Regards,

-EA