[Ansteorra-archery] Question About Sherwood Target Archery Competitions

Mike Wyvill wyvillmike at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 16 12:08:57 PST 2009

I believe that in Gates Edge a few years ago it was stated that due to the theme only crossbows could be used to be named champion.

EdV

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOODJoin me

From: kentheriot at ravenboymusic.comTo: ansteorra-archery at lists.ansteorra.orgDate: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:50:49 -0600Subject: [Ansteorra-archery] Question About Sherwood Target Archery Competitions

Hey Everyone,

I was at our event planning meeting last night and talking about the archery competitions.  There will be several “novelty-shoots” for target archery, but I got to thinking afterward that I wanted to ask the experts about something.  I’m relatively new to target (though I’ve been doing CA regularly for a few years).

This is a Robin Hood themed event, and as such, I was hoping to limit the target competitions (we’ll be doing target stuff with both the regular TA stuff AND the CA stuff in the morning) to long bow.  I know cross-bows existed in this period, but it just isn’t in the “idiom” (zeitgeist?) of Robin Hood.  Also, there is currently a set number of archery prizes…one for overall target archery, 1 for CA target archery, and 1 for “in-armor-actually-fighting” CA. If we have to ALSO split the TA prize into two (one for cross-bow, and one for long-bow), it will make things a lot harder to do.  However, I know there are folks who prefer the cross-bow, or even shoot it exclusively for target.  How is this handled in “regular” target competitions?

Cross-bows would have a huge advantage over long bows for the same target and distance wouldn’t they?  It would make sense to me that the two types of weapons would have to either have their own competitions, or have different distances for the same target.  Regardless of either situation, it seems like it would be exponentially difficult, given our full schedule, to have both weapons in the target archery competition.  Am I off-base here?  Honestly, though I have participated in several “fun” shoots at SCA events, have set up a range, and am an authorized TA marshal, I don’t have the competition experience to know for sure what to do here.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks!

Kenneth