[Ansteorra-archery] Target questions

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 10 14:44:22 PST 2009

Only styrofoam can be damaged be chemical solvents, and it's vulnerable
to pretty much everything.  Polyethylene (ethafoam), on the other hand,
is resistant to all solvents.  Well, some of them will embrittle it if
submerged in the solvent for long periods, but none can dissolve it or
have much effect from merely leaving traces.  Plus, the ones which can
eventually damage it are mostly volatiles which evaporate quickly and
wouldn't even stay applied to the arrow or target.

Oh yeah, on that previous note about the spiral-wound paper used in dart
targets?  Now that I think about it, the high-end targets use horizontal
stacks of foam sheets, appear to be non-microcellular PE of a pretty
high density IIRC.  That is along the lines of getting the arrows to
slide between sheets in a nondestructive way rather than tear a hole.
It does seem like this would result in much less friction and stopping
power though, so the material's stiffness would need to be higher to
achieve high resistance again.  The higher density material would be
more resistant to damage too, which is always a plus.

Oznog