[Ansteorra-archery] Royal Huntsman

Chuck Kaun jack_a_lope31 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 00:32:09 PST 2009

ok, I read a lot of very good posts today...you guys almost made me go to digest....coming home after fighter practice to 50+ emails was an eye opener.

Let me put this as simply as I have understood it, RH is NOT the kingdoms champion, they are not the best of the best.  RH is the ROYAL huntsman, a personal attendant to the current King and Queen of Ansteorra.  Whoever is in that position is basically at the whim of the crown they serve.  The current crown will usually come to the field at least once before the drop out round and say what they expect of their Huntsman and they are allowed to decide the format at any point.  yes, its good to be the king.  If the king at the time says: "I dont care if they get combat authorized", then you are golden.  If the king says: "I want my huntsman by my side on the field of battle", guess what, either have the equipment to do it, get it or drop out at the appropriate point.  Not all crowns are going to be hard core about getting your authorization but it is THEIR RIGHT to demand of us what their expectations will be.

My thought of being a RH is being a complete archer.  That means adaptability.  If you dont have something but all of a sudden its required, you talk to other archers.  No one exists in a vaccuum, there is always someone you can talk to for help.  About the only thing that someone will tell you NO over is to borrow their cup.  It is also about being willing to serve their majesties in whatever they desire of you.  This is a social contract and personal fealty to the crown.  They are reasonable people who arent going to ask the impossible but they have their own personal requirements and if our needs dont come up to those standards, then we have to step aside for someone who will.  Remember people, they have given up much time and money for travel expenses, possible lost wages and sometimes spending less time with their families for the honor of being crown.  They deserve to get what they want and to expect us to give of ourselves the same way.

Ok, Im tired, Ill see some of you at BAM tommorrow,

Karl Thorgeirsson