[Ansteorra-archery] Fw: [SCA-Archery] Gulf Wars Grand Exhibition Tournament and GA Fun Shoots

William Black Dragon ironwyrm at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 20 01:48:46 PST 2010

Thanks Will, it's OK I'm somewhat sensitive and get extremely
frustrated when I see or hear any "bows only" talk.  The way I
see it archers are archers and we don't have enough to be
excluding anybody.  Most likely it's because I may use crossbow
but I'm still a bowman at heart, I've been shooting bows since I
was six years old.  My first introduction to manufacturing and
one of my fondest childhood memories was when my father
arranged a tour of the Ben Person factory in Pine Bluff Arkansas
when I was ten.  Fifty years later age has robbed me of that skill,
I still love the bow, I just can't use it anymore.  Arthritis may have
taken it's toil on me, but I still want to play!

I've always been fascinated with most things that hurl objects down
range so naturally crossbows fit right into that as well, and what's
more medieval than the crossbow?  The good thing for me is I can
use one without the pain or injury the bow can cause me.  Best
part is it keeps me in the game, allows me to continue to play and
even compete.  So yeah "bows only" talk tends to tick me off a bit!

To be honest I've never noticed much difference between my skill
with bow or crossbow score wise.  My high end scores with each
are just about equal.  They are different, crossbow is quicker to
learn than bow, but at the upper skill levels they tend to balance
out.  However it still requires a skilled hand to put the missile
where you want it down range with either weapon.

Until the day I wake up and find I can't pull a crossbow anymore
it's keeping me involved, playing and competing and I don't want
miss out on anything I don't have to!

You are correct about going to the source for clarification and I
guarantee we are going to do that.  We'll post again as soon as
we hear back weal or woe.

I'm not refusing to adapt, geez we've been doing that constantly
almost twelve years now at great expense I might add, but being
"ruled to death" in the ravine at GW has been just about the last
straw for me.  It's not surprising we have lost so many CA's
considering the difficulties & expenses they have had to endure
over the years and I don't expect it to get any better.  I'm not sure
we'll ever be able to rebuild those numbers, but we're still trying!

Ironwyrm