[Ansteorra-archery] Un-allowed blunts

John iaenmor at swbell.net
Wed Jan 12 18:03:22 PST 2011

Actually Eadric has the right of it.  It is much easier to teach someone
to recognize a limited amount of things than a bunch.  Considering that
there are only 2 Baldar Blunts allowed versus several of the older types
of which many had different versions of those.  By knowing what is
allowed should automatically raise a red flag if something else shows
up.  Ansteorra is lucky in that we have minimal choices.

Shafted only has the choices of 3 types of heads (Classic 2 piece Baldar
with Black Collar, Chubb and UHMW) with 2 types of APD's (Asgard and
Siloflex).  Tubular only has 2 types of head (Tennis Ball and Omarad)
with no APD's, however the choice of fins are available.  Fins can not
protrude more than a half inch if I recall the last change correctly.

Teach them what is allowed.  Make sure they learn it well.  If something
shows up that doesn't seem right, teach them to question it and ask
someone more learned to clarify.

Iaen

On 1/12/2011 2:29 PM, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
> The different Baldars were really what I was interested in since we
> allow SOME types of Baldar blunts, but not all of them.  I wanted them
> to be able to see some of the old types so they would recognize them
> when they came across them.
>
> Donnchadh
>
> On 1/12/2011 12:43 PM, B Scott Mills wrote:
>> I am not sure that showing blunts that are NOT allowed is the right
>> approach as there are lots of things that are not allowed. Red heads,
>> Morak Blunts, Thistle Missles, Eggs, etc.  Training on everything
>> that is not allowed might run the risk of confusing things.
>>
>> I think the best approach is to train new marshals to accurately
>> identify the limited set of blunts that ARE allowed and for then to
>> be very sure of what they need to look for as a legal blunt.
>> Anything else is not allowed.
>>
>> The only caveat there is that you should train people how to tell the
>> difference in one piece and two piece classic baldar blunts and make
>> sure that they understand that they need to check carefully for that
>> 100% of the time.  Also they need to understand that any white based
>> baldar blunt is not allowed on fiberglass as those were for wooden
>> shafts only.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -EA
>>

>> On 1/12/2011 12:22 PM, Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair wrote:
>>> Does anyone have pictures of the old style blunts that are no longer
>>> allowed such as the egg-shaped baldar, and the one for wood shafts?
>>> I want to have something to show new marshals for training.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Donnchadh