[Ansteorra-archery] CA Ammo - Tapered Shaft Issue

Ken Theriot kentheriot at ravenboymusic.com
Tue Jun 7 08:35:34 PDT 2011

Here is a bit of a clarification about the whole CA tapered shaft thing
someone asked about.

Here is what the SCA CA Marshal said about it:

"The question of tapering fiberglass shafts to make it easier to seat
Fathead/CUBB blunts or UHMW cores came up at Gulf Wars this week.  The
answer is absolutely not. You may SLIGHTLY break the very edge of the
cut fiberglass by hand with a little sandpaper.  If you have tapered the
shaft enough to noticeably reduce the diameter you must dismount the
blunt, cut the end off of the shaft to square it up again, and start over."

Some folks in Ansteorra are thinking this means the ends have to be "squared
off."  Now having been there, and having seen the ones that were deemed OK,
versus the ones that are "no-nos" I can tell you they do NOT have to be
"squared off."  You can slightly taper the edges/corners to basically round
them off.  The concern was with several that were found that looked almost
like used pencils.  The ones that were held up and said to be acceptable had
the corners beveled off a bit, sort of how we do the courtesy bevel on UHMW
blunts.

I don't want to have folks thinking they have to redo their entire stock of
ammo.  As a rule-of-thumb, if the ends of your shaft look like a pencil that
has ever been sharpened (even really dull ones with the lead broken off),
that is a no-go.  But if it resembles the courtesy bevel of the UHMW blunts,
it's fine.

I hope that helps.  Thanks Gunnarr and Vincenti for bringing this up!

Cheers,

Kenneth