[Ansteorra-archery] Question on Glue

Danny Miller dannym at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 10 14:25:01 PST 2012

Epoxy should never be "modified" by changing the ratio.  All it does is
weaken the final product, as there will be some amount of polymer with
nothing to combine with.  It should not be used to attempt to modify the
curing time, all it really means is it never cures, it may be less rigid
but far weaker, bordering on nonstructural gunk.

Many epoxy systems have preferred to use the term "Part A" and "Part B"
to avoid the assumption that it might work that way.  There's really
only a small window of a few % over which the ratio can vary before the
product is adversely affected, most "pros" doing composite work go by
weight because it's more accurate than volume to measure consistently.

Epoxy cures much slower in cold weather, but it becomes more viscous as
well.  When soaking into something is needed, sometimes a heat gun is
used instead because the thinner viscosity gains more penetration than
is lost due to short curing time.  You can't do this with the 5-min
stuff, it will simply flash over, and the extra heat added from the
rapid chemical reaction may even cause it to burn (well, bubble and
smolder and produce a damaged product).  It's almost beside the point
because there is zero "soaking" of epoxy into UHMW.  None.  At all.  It
flows over the features and mechanically locks against them in some way,
yes, but absolutely does not penetrate the surface regardless of viscosity.

Epoxy does not dry- it cures, there is no solvent at all.  Some epoxy
types are stiffer than others.  Typically the 5-min stuff does cure
pretty stiff.

Danny