[Ansteorra-archery] While were shaking things up ...

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed Feb 15 19:51:40 PST 2012

greetings

sorry , I'm really not trying to pick on you .
but , this is one of the problems I have noticed in the past , and you have
just brought it to the forefront , so I figure I better comment on it before
I forget it again.

your post pushes the image that true " champions " do only one thing " win
the title ".
I'm sorry to see that as an example in any sport, especially archery .
but it does spot light the difference between combat archers " heavy weapons
" mentality. and target archers mentality.
as a heavy weapons fighter there is one directive " win " , unfortunately
some lose sight of the more important aspects of the competition, and you
see them wearing rhino plate armor, or ignoring shots , etc....
 this gains them no respect , so I don't see why it should be different on
the archery ranges : /
while in the target archery community it has been common to understand that
how you act , speak to your fellow archers,spectators, etc. is some times
more important than a " title ".
 and deciding whether or not you can fulfill the duties and obligations of
that title are always more important than actually " winning " that title .
I have seen newbie's post of wanting to enter championship title shoots in
order to take out as many other archers as possible ... and yet they have no
desire to fulfill the obligations of that title, no desire to test
themselves against the best archers attending that event , it saddens me to
see posts of this nature , because those people really believe that a bad
attitude, lack of honor,and drama , will make archery much more exiting to
watch / participate in : (

as to multiple champions, all we can do is discuss possibilities, it is up
to the crowns to decide what they want , where they want it and how they
want it . we don't make the decisions, all we do is give them options .

your correct there are many prejudices even in the missile community, should
we all be required to shoot only period gear, should crossbows have their
own championships, titles, should crossbowmen be made to only shoot while
standing with one foot in the air, one hand on their butt, while singing god
save the queen ??? at this time those are all left up to the individual
marshals running the shoots, their personal prejudices, and skills as a
marshal.
if I really don't want a recurve to win , I limit the competition to period
gear ,if I don't want a longbow / recurve to win , I stack the rounds so
that crossbows are much more likely to win ( static distances, no timed
rounds, longer ranges ) if I don't want crossbows to win I reverse it,
multiple ranges, speed rounds, close targets, over obstacle targets at close
range, limited shots, a good and fair marshal will try to give everyone an
equal chance to win without inflicting their own prejudices on the
tournament.
but the truth is many marshals aren't that skilled , so you see a lot of "
fun " shoots in title competitions, that rely on luck instead of skill, or
shoots obviously tilted one way or another.

again a lot of options and things to think about.

just my opinion

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur